Sunday 10 May 2009

A Response from an MEP about the Freedom of Speech Letter

In response to the letter (http://francisjcrystals.blogspot.com/2009/04/freedom-of-expression-in-uk-letter-to.html) sent to various MP's, MEP's and Lords, I am delighted to have a response from a local Labour MEP. This was the second letter as I asked for their views after an extremely non-committal first response.......

"I would like to make clear that I agree with the Home Secretary’s action. Ultimately, though, as I indicated in my earlier reply, this is a national matter.

If any of the injured parties feel that any EU law has been breached, they should refer the case to the European Court of Justice for a ruling. However, I must point out that European law permits member states to take action to prevent activities which may be detrimental to the interests of that country.

I hope this clarifies my position on these matters."

This is not as expressive as the letter from a particular Lord! (http://francisjcrystals.blogspot.com/2009/04/freedom-of-expression-in-uk-reply-from.html)
It seems that most politicians are scared to not tow the party line. This is surely the biggest problem with the modern parties, you cannot reach a position of power by going against the common policy. Critical thought and speech should be encouraged more.

No comments:

Post a Comment